Controlled Dangerous Substances in New Jersey

Controlled Dangerous Substance Charges

Controlled dangerous substances in New JerseyIn New Jersey, illegal drugs are referred to as “controlled dangerous substances.” To fully understand your rights if you are under investigation for or have been charged with a drug-related crime, it’s important to know how the state of New Jersey handles a controlled dangerous substance (CDS).

The Categorization of Controlled Dangerous Substances

Under New Jersey law, there are five ways a CDS can be classified, based on the perceived medical value of a drug and the likelihood that it will be abused. Those drugs which pose the greatest risk of abuse, with the least potential medical benefit, are Schedule I controlled dangerous substances. However, the classification system applies to all types of pharmaceutical and chemical substances, from heroin and cocaine to prescription drugs. While marijuana is considered a controlled dangerous substance, it is treated differently under New Jersey law.

The Penalties for Possession of a Controlled Dangerous Substance in New Jersey

The nature of the offense and the potential penalties are based on where the CDS falls in the classification system. If you are convicted of possession of a Schedule V controlled dangerous substance, a crime in the 4th degree, you can face a maximum of 18 months in prison and a $15,000 fine. For all other controlled dangerous substances, you can be prosecuted for a crime in the 3rd degree, with a potential $35,000 fine and as much as five years in prison for the first conviction. Subsequent convictions carry much stiffer penalties. There are also laws that make it illegal to possess any controlled dangerous substance on or within 1,000 feet of school property, including a school bus.

Contact Jack Venturi Law

Our team has the experience, skill, knowledge and resources to aggressively protect your rights. For a confidential consultation, contact us online or call us toll free at 866-339-7801. We represent clients throughout Middlesex County, Union County, Mercer County, Monmouth County, Essex County and Somerset County.

Speak Your Mind